Thursday 30 January 2014

Story - Where to search for Self


Initially when I began a quest to search for my real self, asking many people whom I thought may know it and will tell me the way, I was surprised that I was getting more and more confused and lot of fear had started descending on me. So this blog is for those who are in the same situation. The following story will give a glimpse of where to search for self.

A long time ago, there was a Sufi Fakir, Rabia. She was an enlightened one, but poor and staying in her old hut. Once in the evening she started frantically searching for something outside her house. Seeing her, some villagers asked, what are you searching? She said "I have lost my needle, which was my important possession". Seeing her, the other villagers also started searching. It was becoming dark and people were getting tired.
One of the villagers asked : Where have you lost the needle? If you can give us some hint, it will be easier to find. 

Rabia: Inside my hut

Villager:Then why are you searching outside?

Rabia: Because it dark inside, and because I am poor, I don’t have a lamp. I thought, as there is lot of light outside my house, I will search there.

Villager: Have you gone mad? Even if it is dark inside, the needle has to be searched in the hut only. It is pointless to search outside. We can bring some light, search for it and we will find the needle. You are really mad and made all of us mad also.

Rabia: Laughing. You are intelligent. Although you know that there is darkness inside (when we close our eyes), we are searching for ourself outside, where there is light. Just bring in a small light inside, and we will find ourself.

Wisdom Pointer: There are 3 pointers:
  1. We should know that we are searching in the wrong direction.
  2. Change direction within. Within means when we close our eyes, we see darkness, emptiness, formless, empty space or sky which is actually our live consciousness (Self).
  3. Light means the way/grace/know-how given by the Enlightened one or by our own inner spirit guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment